Sunday, August 23, 2009

Take it Like a Man!

This week’s song choice is for the ladies (but men should read it too)…

Upon reviewing my last few blogs, I realized the songs I’ve chosen lately are inspirational, positive and encouraging. Perhaps that’s because I’ve always been a somewhat chipper, optimistic person. However, I don’t want to ignore the fact that it’s also okay to be frustrated, burnt out, or exhausted. Life is full of ups and downs and music can be so cathartic, helping you tap into those inner emotions and really experience repressed feelings. So this week I wanted to devote a song to those of you out there who may feel a little lost, tired or just down right annoyed.

My mind took me to the old joke, what do you get when you play a country song backwards? Answer: your wife back, your dog back, your house back and your job back. Yes, it’s cute. But I grew up listening to country music, so I also know of all the great songs about love, redemption and strength. In it’s most basic function, country music speaks to and for the every-man or -woman in a simple, accessible way. Many songs tell a story about a relationship—and you know, it ain’t always so pretty.

I used to be single. And I used to get frustrated with some of the guys I would meet, or date. Sound familiar? Don’t get me wrong, it’s fun to be single and I think it’s important to enjoy it as much as you can. But there were times when I’d think, “I know exactly what I want in a guy, and I’m NOT going to settle for anything less. And that may mean I never get married.” And I didn’t settle, thank goodness! Now I’m blessed to have met an amazing man who truly is my soul mate—exactly what I was looking for, and more!

But this week’s song choice isn’t about love. It isn’t about lost love or even being IN love. It’s about knowing what you want, and not being able to find it.

So, let’s get down to it! This week’s song choice is “Take it Like a Man” sung by Michelle Wright and written by Tony Haselden (a man!).

Wikipedia states, “Michelle Wright is a Canadian country music artist. She is one of the country's most widely recognized and awarded female country singers of the '90s….She followed up with her most successful album, Now and Then, in 1992. The first single, ‘Take It Like a Man,’ was her first Billboard top 10 hit and the video reached #1 on Country Music Television (CMT).” For more information visit www.wikipedia,org or www.michelle-wright.com.

Simply and boldly stated, here are the lyrics:
___________________________________________
Take it Like a Man by Michelle Wright

Boy meets girl, it’s a delicate thing.
So much time spent wondering
If what you see, is what you get.

I keep looking for a friend and a lover.
When I find one he ain’t the other.
Sometimes, I just want to quit.

One wants a maid, one needs his mother.
They either want space, or they want to smother me
And my poor heart needs somebody who…

Can take it like a man, steady and strong.
Not a lot of fuss and carrying on.
True to a promise I can ride in a storm.
Take it like a man, who knows about love
And every little thing that a girl dreams of.
Someone wise enough to understand.
If you want this woman’s heart,
Take it like a man!

I met somebody the other night,
Started thinking he was Mr. Right…
Wrong!
I might have never known
If a friend hadn’t brought it to my attention.
He’s got a wife he forgot to mention!
Girl, leave that fool alone.

I keep hoping and telling myself,
Somewhere there’s one good one left
’cause my poor heart need somebody who…

Can take it like a man, steady and strong.
Not a lot of fuss and carrying on.
True to a promise I can ride in a storm.
Take it like a man, who knows about love
And every little thing that a girl dreams of.
Someone wise enough to understand.
If you want this woman’s heart,
Take it like a man!

*Lyrics provided by www.tsrocks.com
________________________________________

Do you know what you want, and can’t find it? Did you settle for less due to frustration or fear? Or maybe you’re looking for something right now—a job, a significant other. Did you ever date Mr./Ms. Wrong?

This week’s challenge: Don’t give up! If there’s something you want, wait until it’s right. Make a list of what it is you’re looking for in a spouse, a job, or a goal. Stay true to yourself and don’t compromise your principles, but keep in mind that sometimes our priorities and expectations change.

Whatever you do, don’t settle for less.

Click on the YouTube link below to see the music video:

3 comments:

Jill T said...

Wow...great song! I remember when this song was popular..was a favorite of mine. I agree - women (and men) should never compromise...which is why I have spent the last decade single! ha

I feel the singer portrays strength - an independent woman who is screaming out to men to step up, take on the responsibilities of manhood, do what you say you will; show humility and vulnerability when the occasion calls, be stable and consistent in your ways... You are right Steph, there aren't many men that do this, but I believe maturity takes time to develop.

A boy does not become a man overnight - especially if the boy had no role model. Since I have often been attracted to athletes, I have come to the realization that coaches don't always make the best substitute fathers. (I could write a book on this as well!) I feel that sometimes males have to suffer and experience life to know how to truly BE a man. Believe me, I have witnessed this first hand.

However, emotional intelligence and maturity is awesome when it is learned and becomes natural...and the benefits are so rewarding for the recipients, as well as the man himself! Great write up, Steph! Jill T

The Artistic Mercenary™ said...

I am not what you might call a country music fan, so I had never heard this song. All I knew going was what you told me in your set up (and what a set up it was!).

I completely agree with you (and the song). There are times in life when you should compromise, and times when you shouldn't. And trying to find the person to spend the rest of your life with is definitely an area where you should not compromise.

As you know, I was like you and would not compromise, even if that meant never getting married. And I struggled with the single life (especially living in Menver...or should I say Boy-ver). So I do believe people need to have that strength of conviction. But people, as you point out, also need patience. I didn't actually meet my soul mate (who's an awesome blogger by the way) until I had stopped looking. Once I stopped looking, it meant I had learned patience and that I was willing to put my search in the hands of a higher power. And, having learned the lesson, I was rewarded. At least that's the way I look at it.

But there are plenty of times in life when I have compromised (to answer one of your questions), and times when I regretted it. But there have also been times where it was necessary, and that understanding is important in any relationship. Especially if you want to keep your soul mate after you've found them!

I do, however, agree on the areas one should never compromise: on love or on dreams.

I also agree with Jill T. I can tell you, as a MAN, that having a good role model helps. A lot. But there are some things a boy has to learn on his own in order to become a man. And not every boy learns those things.

Great post, possibly the best one yet, and coming from someone who doesn't like country, that's saying something!!

Susan said...

I like country music but don't listen to it on a regular basis. This song was great - thanks for sharing!

I've been thinking about what you said all day long. I agree you shouldn't give up or settle for less on your dreams or goals due to fear or frustration.

I also agree that you should "stay true to yourself and don’t compromise your principles, but keep in mind that sometimes our priorities and expectations change". One should have goals but sometimes they may have to be altered, or compromised when we have loved ones we have to consider. In my case, it seems that when changes were made for the right reasons they always worked out for the best. And sometimes the Lord wants us to go down a different road then the one we mapped out for ourselves. And sometimes trying something new and different than planned can be very exciting. And that's OK, too, as long as - like you said - stay true to yourself.

Great post Stephanie - LH&KM