Sunday, August 2, 2009

Gabriel at His Finest

This week's song choice is a special treat—one of my favorite pop songs, "Solsbury Hill".

Peter Gabriel is a fantastic performer, whether he's singing, writing, or playing an instrument. As most of you know, he used to be the lead singer for Genesis, until departing from the group in the 1970s. Wikipedia states, "Gabriel recorded his first self-titled solo album in 1976 and 1977... His first solo success came with the single 'Solsbury Hill', an autobiographical piece expressing his thoughts on leaving Genesis." This information and more can be found at www.wikipedia.org.

I think the lyrics to this song can be looked at from so many different angles; it seems everyone can relate to it somehow. And that's the beauty of a song that tells a story without plainly stating the message. This song uses imagery and metaphor to communicate a very strong, urgent message. What do you think that is? Read closely. Then read it again.

___________________________
Solsbury Hill by Peter Gabriel

Climbing up on Solsbury Hill
I could see the city light.
Wind was blowing, time stood still.
Eagle flew out of the night.

He was something to observe.
Came in close, I heard a voice.
Standing stretching every nerve
Had to listen had no choice.

I did not believe the information!
(I) just had to trust imagination
My heart going boom boom boom!
"Son," he said "Grab your things,
I've come to take you home."

To keep in silence I resigned.
My friends would think I was a nut.
Turning water into wine.
Open doors would soon be shut.

So I went from day to day
Tho' my life was in a rut.
Till I thought of what I'd say
Which connection I should cut.

I was feeling part of the scenery.
I walked right out of the machinery
My heart going boom boom boom!
"Hey" he said "Grab your things
I've come to take you home."
(Back home.)

When illusion spin her net
I'm never where I want to be.
And liberty she pirouette
When I think that I am free.

Watched by empty silhouettes
Who close their eyes but still can see.
No one taught them etiquette
I will show another me.

Today I don't need a replacement.
I'll tell them what the smile on my face meant.
My heart going boom boom boom!
"Hey" I said "You can keep my things,
they've come to take me home."

*Lyrics provided by www.azlyrics.com
____________________________

What is the song saying to you? Can you relate? What is literal, and what is metaphor? What is your favorite part?

This week's challenge: Take a stand! If there's something you've been meaning to say, or something you've wanted to learn about, do it this week! Make it happen.

If you'd like to hear the song, click on the YouTube link below:


4 comments:

The Artistic Mercenary™ said...

Great song choice! I love this song, and every time I hear it I catch something new or something I missed before. And I think you're right on when you say that a great song like this is one that tells a story without plainly stating its message. Which is something most songwriters, especially today, seem incapable of doing.

As for this song, he obviously uses a lot of Judeo-Christian imagery in the song and one could take it as being a song about finding faith (which is what I thought the song was about for a long time).

But it could also be about fulfillment. Having the courage to stand up and be yourself. Realizing when your reality no longer matches the dream you had, and making the decision to change your course.

Overall I think it's a song about returning. Returning to who he is at his core, who he set out to be. He talks about returning home and I think that can be taken a number of different ways—returning to the dreams you had as a kid, returning to where you're comfortable, returning to where you love to be, or even a different kind of return. That is, coming full circle, the journey going from child to parent.

I think it's all of these things because it expresses a man dissatisfied, and a man who makes the efforts necessary to be satisfied. But, as I always say, the beauty of writing is that everyone will get something different out of it because everyone brings their own experiences to the table. That's why a song sung beautifully and not plainly stated is a great song. That's why "Solsbury Hill" proves timeless (except for the cheesy tribal bit at the end, I could do without that).

Great choice, I can't wait for next week's song!

Susan said...

I am sorry to say that this is the first time I’ve heard this song. Let’s see, what was I doing back in 1976. Oh yes, Matt was 3 years old and I was working full time. I’m sure any free time I had was spent listening to Sesame Street.

But I love this song! To me, Gabriel is sharing about the experience he had when he knew without a doubt that there was a God (Eagle being symbol for God). I can relate totally. I want to share my experience (knowing God is real) of what had happened to me with everyone but, not having any biblical background at the time, I thought my friends would think I was nuts, too. So I kept quiet.

But as the Holy Spirit works in you (6th stanza), you change and want something more from life.

I believe Gabriel is saying his former associates were silhouettes – outlines of people but filled in with black, or they had no substance. And that’s not the life he wanted for himself. You reach a point where God’s love means more than other’s opinion of you – and you are set free. I think the last stanza’s my favorite. I can almost feel his smile and I can picture him joyfully walking away from his ‘old’ life (You can keep my things)

Very beautiful. Oh, and back in 1976, these words wouldn’t have meant anything to me, personally. Thanks for sharing Stephanie! Love, Susan

Anonymous said...

I am continually impressed with this blog, and am now of the belief that Steph (AND SETH) need to collaborate and take this initiative a step further (for profit!) You both are so skilled with putting your thoughts and beliefs on paper! I am continually impressed.

I was of the belief (like Susan and Seth both note), that the writer had found Christianity
...but realized later that it did fit Peter's exit from Genesis. I always enjoyed the rhythm of the song, but never gave the lyrics much thought - until Steph and I discussed it at length awhile back. Was so cool that we both had totally different interpretations. The eagle meant a plane to me initially....and I love the words, "Realizing when your reality no longer matches the dream, and making the decision to change your course." This is potent!! Love it!

Keep up the good work, Steph - I will continue to check in! Can't wait for the Food BLOG!!
Jill T

Mr. Chocolate Moose said...

You gotta love Pete Gabriel. He is so deep. I read this through several times and like AM said, I see more every time.

Like others, I see a lot of religious symbolism. He is there with us. He will come to take us home. In the meantime He will guide us. There have been a few times during my tenure as a Christian where my heart went boom, boom boom too! Stepping out of the machine can be an airplane taking you someplace else. But I think it is probably a reference to Genesis. Who knows?

I could read it a dozen more times and come up with more probably. But it's been a very long day and I need to sleep. Thanks for another challenge and a great song. Lala salama. Sleep in peace!